If you are using Windows OS, it is not uncommon to see an error message: the application was unable to start correctly 0xc00007b, especially if you are trying to run a 32-bit application on 64-bit operating system.
There are many possible solutions to this problem, but none of them is 100% effective. If one method does not work, you should try another. Here are some popular workarounds you can do.
The easiest and most obvious workaround is to reboot the computer. Many problems can be fixed by simply restarting the system, assuming you have no corrupt file or malfunctioning hardware.
- Reinstall the application
Some big applications such as game and multimedia editing applications take some good minutes to install. As the installation is in progress, there can be a glitch small enough to cause error but not big enough to halt the process. If you get a 0xc00007b error message, uninstalling and reinstalling the application probably work. To avoid the same issue, do the following:
- Turn off your antivirus software before the installation. Activate it again when the installation is finished.
- Accept additional software during installation, unless you know that it is actually unnecessary. Certain software is crucial and required to run the application properly. Software that is not directly related for examples search bar add-on, malware scanner, or registry cleaner can be skipped.
- Install the application to primary Windows disk (C:). It should not matter, but some applications return error when installed to logical partition.
- Run as Administrator
If you keep getting the 0xc00007b “the application was unable to start correctly” message, you may want to try running the application as administrator. To do this:
- Right click the application shortcut
- Choose “Run as administrator” from dropdown menu
- If it fixes the error, change the application setting so you always run it as administrator the next time. Right click dropdown menu, choose Properties and select Compatibility Tab. Find the “Run this program as an administrator” and check the box.
- Replace 32-bit xinput1_3.dll with an a working version
0xc00007b error can also happen when the xinput_3.dll is corrupted or overwritten. If that’s the case, you can replace the file with an appropriate version manually. This is a safe method and most effective in fixing the error message. To replace the file, follow these procedures:
- Download 32-bit xinput1_3.dll file. You can find it easily from multiple sources.
- The file comes in zipped folder, so you need to extract it after downloading.
- Right click the correct file and choose Copy.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and open the folder. Right click an empty space and click Paste. A dialog window will appear, and choose Copy and Replace.